News Archive

Click to return to the News page

5th December 2006 At the beginning of December, Adrian made a visit to Stockholm in connection with his interest in Swedish Railways. At Spårvägsmuseet, there is a 7¼" gauge model of a Stockholm Underground train, seen at the end of the day, on tracks laid into the museum's floor. Stockholm's underground (or T-bana) dates back only to 1950, and this model vaguely represents the C2 cars introduced at that time. The high sides fold down for access, and the driver sits at the back so that he/she can see that the young passengers are OK; and changes end before the return trip.

Stockholm's answer to the LRT
Click picturs for full size image.
7¼" gauge model of a Stockholm Underground train. [Photo: A.A.]

27th November 2006 On Saturday November 25th, the LRT provided rides at the Christmas Fayre at Christ Church Infant School, Virginia Water. We wondered if we would be giving any rides once we had set up ... there was a heavy downpour that lasted for almost half-an-hour, complete with thunder and lightning ... and hail! Nevertheless, as the event opened, the rain eased off, and we carried just over 100 passengers in a three-hour period. Following weather damage previously, we were using a new hand-held control unit, and this worked very well, and being a slightly different type, we found it to be slightly better also! LRT Friends were joined by a friend from the Great Cockcrow Railway, who was very helpful with the setting up, operation and clearing away afterwards ... possibly a potential new Friend of the LRT?
(Another of the exhibits at the event was the local fire brigade, who are obviously promoting Fire Safety. Do take a look at their website at to consider inviting them to your event!)

LRT Covered Up Sheltering in the back of the van
LRT at Virginia Water
LRT at Virginia Water Firefighters taking a ride on the LRT
Click pictures for full size images.
Top Left Everything under cover whilst the rain came down...! [Photo: A.A.]
Top Right Sitting in the back of the van with a warm drink seemed a good idea! [Photo: A.A.]
Middle But eventually, we did get up and running. [Photo: A.A.]
Bottom Left Daniel awaits passengers, the rain having only just stopped. [Photo: M. Scrutton]
Bottom Right We do have a Fire Extinguisher as part of our 'kit,' but we wouldn't have needed it with these people about! [Photo: M. Scrutton]

27th October 2006 Work is progressing on Daniel's OO-gauge 'Ginny', with most of the components painted and ready for assmebley.
He has received some excellent customer service from Radley Models (makers of the kit) and would recommend their products to anyone interested in modelling London Transport stock.

15th October 2006 October 21st and 22nd saw the Little Red Train at the Acton Miniature Railway again, for the Family Weekend. We shared the track with the now completed "A" class 4-4-0 Metropolitan steam loco, seen under construction earlier this year. Almost all of the LRT drivers got a chance to drive the loco!
With the new loop installed at the far end, but no signals there, we operated with a "Single Line Staff" (or token), and this certainly attracted the attention of several enthusiasts! The weather on the Saturday was mostly OK with just one heavy downpour that lasted for 15 minutes. On the Sunday, there was light rain for almost the whole day. This took its toll with the LRT getting water into the potentiometer on the control panel, bringing the train to a stop! This was dried out under a hand-drier in the Gents' loo, before we found other problems with it. Eventually, it was rewired, and after about one hour of 'down' time, the LRT was back in service. For most of both days there was a steady flow of custom, and very few quiet moments; but with the longer ride, this wasn't a reflection on an increase in passenger numbers (just under 900), the journeys took longer!

Token Exchange The finished A-class
Click pictures for full size images.
Left Token exchange ... a 'first' on the AMR.
Right The beautiful Metropolitan "A" class 4-4-0T loco that also provided rides.
[Photos: A. A.]

(Photography of the LRT came to an abrupt halt due to another problem; and here, we'll share some advice! Don't buy the cheap "economy" white batteries that Tesco sell. The pack of four that we purchased for use in the camera contained three dead batteries and one putting out just over 4v! We're lucky the camera still works!)
The next event at the AMR is March 3rd & 4th; but the following ones in 2007 have been cancelled due to museum staff being pre-occupied with the opening of the refurbished museum at Covent Garden. We are hopeful that a special day can be arranged at the AMR (with the Depot closed) anyway, and this website will keep you posted. The AMR will be getting a website soon; whether this will be 'official' or 'unofficial,' remains to be seen, but we will link to it when it is ready. Another proposed link will be to the forthcoming website for the Spinney Light Railway; but we'll announce the links being made on this (news) page.

A class and LRT LRT in the new passing loop
Click pictures for full size images.
Left The weekend's two trains side by side.
Right The LRT comes off the new passing loop, driven from the rear (afterall, it is the return journey).
[Photos: A. A.]

15th October 2006 Further cosmetic work has been carried out on both bodies. The roof of the 'D' car has now been repainted to match that of the 'A' car and the opportunity was also taken to make some other minor repairs.
LRT member, Matthew Scrutton has purchased from us, one of the old Atco motors, complete with gears and chain, for use on his own train. He, and fellow member, Stephen Trower fitted this up in one evening, and as the photo shews, only one chain remains to be fitted.
In other news, Daniel is building a Ginny ... not just our 7¼" gauge model, but a 00-scale model also. We think this will be in service before the larger one!

Atco motor in Matt's tram loco The Ginny, in OO scale
Click pictures for full size images.
Left Matthew's loco with the Atco motor assembly fitted in place. [Photo: M. Scrutton.]
Right Daniel's 00-scale Ginny under construction. [Photo: A.A.]

8th October 2006 Following recent flooding where the LRT is kept, it seemed wise to check that everything still works prior to our next booked event. Thus, we were welcomed to take it to the Spinney Light Railway (website and link coming soon) for this purpose on Saturday 7th. Thankfully everything worked very well. It was also mortifying to see how easily it climbed the 1:30 gradient; this being the cause of the initial failures just after we bought the train and still had the old controller and motors etc. A great boost to our morale to put it mildly!
On the Sunday, two LRT members carried out some cosmetic work on the body of the D end car, in preparation for repainting the roof to match the returned 'A' end car. This work, along with some other minor cosmetic repairs, should be complete before the next open weekend at Acton.

LRT at Old Oak LRT at Dingley Dell
LRT and Royal Scot at Spinney Daniel driving a steam loco
Click pictures for full size images.
Top Left Daniel with the LRT at Old Oak, just after setting it up. [Photo: A.A.]
Top Right LRT in the Bay at Dingley Dell, during the stop for Tea! (How very civilised!) [Photo: A.A.]
Bottom Left Into the evening, and this could be Harrow & Wealdstone, with the Bakerloo train alongside a Royal Scot class steam loco! In fact, it's at Spinney. [Photo: S. Trower.]
Bottom Right Daniel gets a turn on a Narrow-Gauge (but 7¼" gauge) steam locomotive! [Photo: S. Trower.]


The LRT, driven by Daniel approaches Baytree Junction station. Note the correctly back-lit signals, and listen for the bells in the signalbox nearby! [Video: A.A..]
Videos are hosted by YouTube and require Macromedia Flash to play. They are not guaranteed to work on all browsers.

25th August 2006 Two LRT members joined a small work party at the Acton Miniature Railway on August 20th, to lay some track. By the end of the day, a new passing loop had been provided, work that required some track panels to be lifted and repositioned, two new curved track panels to be built during the day, and quite a few tonnes of ballast to be applied. The track is mostly level, but it will need some attention before it is ready to support trains. The LRT has now been confirmed to run there on October 21st/22nd.

Daniel removing track panels The up end point
The down end point Buses at Acton
Click pictures for full size images.
Top Left Daniel preparing track panels to be removed.
Top Right The Up end point seen in situ; work continues at the other end.
Bottom Left The Down end point leading to the extended headshunt.
Bottom Right We were interrupted by the arrival of two buses!
[Photos: A. A..]

17th July 2006 The LRT went back to Hook on July 15th, same field, same patch as on June 24th, but this time for a different organisation, the Surbiton Rotary Club. We carried just over 100 passengers during the 5½ hours, a low figure, but enough to enable us to provide our host with a percentage of our 'takings.' We were low on operators, mainly due to one of our regular operators having big mechanical problems with his car. This meant that we could only use the van, (three people - and all the kit). We had very few full trains, but quite a lot of trains with just one or two passengers on. But we enjoyed it, and so did they!

The station area Matt with a lightly loaded train
Click pictures for full size images.
Left The station area with Daniel and Matthew setting things up.
Right One of the many 'one passenger' trains ... but nobody's complaining!
[Photos: A. A..]

25th June 2006 The LRT provided rides at the 1st Hook Scout Group's Summer Fayre on 24th June, and carried well over 200 passengers, considerably more than last year. Despite having investigated the electrical problems experienced at Ashford, we had a few unexpected stops, but the problem was traced to the electrical coupling for the hand-held controller, where the pins weren't making good contact in the sockets! The quick-fix was to bend them slightly, and all worked well from then on. Again, we used the body from the centre car due to the ongoing work to the A-end car body. We provided our host with just under £50 income, so both parties are happy, and we will probably be invited back again next year. We had several enquiries about running the train at other events, one of them possibly on 15th July, quite soon, so stay tuned!

Awaiting passengers at Hook The LRT at Hook
Trainload of passengers at Hook Filling in the Train Register
Adrian date-stamping tickets at Hook
Click pictures for full size images.
Top Left The station area before business - each event has a different layout according to circumstances. [Photo: A.A.]
Top Right Martin with a trainload of passengers; one of whom had so many rides that we gave him a complementary ticket! [Photo: A.A.]
Middle Left One of the many train journeys, leaving the station area. [Photo: S. Davison]
Middle Right Martin keeping the Train Register up to date. [Photo: S. Davison]
Bottom Adrian date-stamping more tickets! Note the LRT Uniform ... the baseball cap! [Photo: S. Davison]

12th June 2006 The LRT made a return visit to the Summer Fayre of the 8th Ashford (Middx.) Scouts on June 10th; a scorchingly hot day! Nevertheless, we carried 127 passengers (12 more than last year) ... on a slightly different train! Whilst the 'A' end car is being cosmetically overhauled in readiness for cloning (see an earlier entry here), it was inappropriate to use it, so the Centre Car body was put on the chassis instead (and we were relieved to find that it fitted perfectly). This had no cushion, and got hot quite quickly, but we were able to provide thin sheets of foam (from Adrian's van, where he uses it to protect the equipment that he transports), and all went well. However, towards the end of the day, an intermittent power failure occurred, and this would appear to be where the hand-held controller is plugged into the main loom ... an investigation is underway!

The centre car body on the 'A' chassis The touched-up A body
Click pictures for full size images.
Left Awaiting passengers, the centre-car's body is apparent (no cab end windows). The 'S' curve makes the ride more interesting.
Right The 'A' end car body was returned to us, but the roof did not colour-match, so this contributed to the decision to use the centre-car.
[Photos: A. A..]

24th May 2006 The LRT went to the Acton Miniature Railway on 20/21 May, and managed to carry 250 passengers over the two days. This was quite an achievement considering the continual rain and strong winds (not to mention that this event at the Depot Museum was promoted more in favour of buses, so it was a different sort of clientele than in March)! Despite the rain, we had no adhesion problems on the track, and overall performance was inspiring. We had the assistance again of a very young helper, clipping tickets, and as a reward for her efforts, she was given a supervised drive on the train!
On the Sunday, Claire, our newest member, was 'passed-out' to drive the LRT on her own with fare-paying passengers.
In the evening, the body of the 'A' end car was taken away so that a mould could be made in readiness for a new body, one that would be used by a third party as part of a demonstration, but also so that we can make replacement bodies for the train!

LRT at Depot Approach Our young helper taking the LRT for a drive
The A car body
Click pictures for full size images.
Top Left The LRT at "Depot Approach," awaiting passengers. Alongside, can be seen a freelance shunting locomotive.
Top Right Adrian looking over our youngest driver - this driving opportunity (with no passengers) is a way of saying, "Thanks for your help!"
Bottom The 'A' car body (seat cushion removed) awaiting transportation away ... to be cloned!
[Photos: A. A..]

6th May 2006 The LRT visited the Ottershaw Scouts & Guides May Fayre on 1st May, and carried over 400 passengers. This is such an improvement on last year, that we managed to run out of tickets! The weather outlook was poor, but in the event, it remained dry, although the temperature fluctuated considerably. There were many enquiries for possibly attending other events, but at the time of writing, only one was followed up, but this was for a weekday event, and that would mean taking time off work (employment) and van-hire!

Stese driving the LRT at Ottershaw Matt driving the LRT at Ottershaw
Click pictures for full size images.
Left Stese about to depart, with Daniel in the right background having just checked tickets. [Photo: M. Scrutton.]
Right Our newest driver, Matt, taking a train out, with Stese in the left background keeping the register up to date! [Photo: S. Trower.]

6th March 2006 The LRT visited the Acton Miniature Railway again on March 4th & 5th for the Open Weekend at the Museum Depot at Acton Town. Over the two days, we provided 72 passenger journeys, carrying a total of 345 passengers. The low number of passengers is due to the fact that we shared the operation with Mike Hanscomb's Metrovick locomotive (with two coaches borrowed from a miniature railway at Woking) and a small 0-4-0ST steam locomotive (with a third coach borrowed from Woking). Two more coaches were borrowed from the Great Cockcrow Railway, but built to GCR operational standards, the flanges were too deep for the smaller rail section on the AMR! Also on show, was a partly built class "A" Steam Locomotive. Unlike previous events, all trains were carrying passengers, and a very slick operation was provided. The railway carried over 1,000 passengers over the weekend, which is the best total to date, though we should note that the Wootton Tramway was not present this year.
The LRT provided some signals again, but these were positioned differently to before, due to the method of operation being revised and the Departure area and Arrival area being swapped over! We also provided springs for two of the points, so that they didn't need to be changed all the time. One of the two new points was for trailing moves only and remained unlocked, the other was locked into position. Indeed, the line had been extended, and thus the passengers got more VFM (value for money). Now, the AMR is looking into the purchase of two new points to provide a passing loop near the far end of the present layout, but we'll report on that later.
Operating at 24v (instead of 12v), the LRT ran exceptionally well, with no actual failures in service. We had one minor derailment, the cause of which was never established, but we suspect that it was ballast caught in the point. (We will need to urge people to walk on the track and ballast less than presently!) One of the bogies had released itself from the chassis during the Sunday, but being held in place by gravity, we didn't know until we lifted the chassis to put the train back into the van!
All in all, it was a good weekend, enjoyed by all, despite the cold (though that was not as bad as last year). As an aside, the AMR has received a donation in the form of a Metrovick loco and two trucks, but they are both in 7½" gauge instead of 7¼" gauge. The loco stood on a plinth during the weekend to be admired. Curiously, this was not the only overscale item at the event, due to an arrival on Sunday afternoon ... see the pictures!

LRT passes the Museum's Metrovick Metrovick departing
A Class Steam loco on the AMR
Refurbished D Stock
Click photo for full size image.
Top Left The LRT passes the plinthed 7½" gauge Metrovick locomotive.
Top Right Mike Hanscomb's Metrovick locomotive about to depart past one of the signals provided by the LRT. Note the aspect: Green instructing the driver to proceed, and Yellow warning the driver that the next signal (just about seen in the background) is at Danger (Red).
Middle Left The partly built class "A" steam locomotive. GCR coaches behind.
Middle Right The operational steam locomotive, seen here in the new locomotive siding. Note the Metropolitan riding truck!
Bottom This is NOT 7¼" gauge ... it is a refurbished "D" stock car that arrived during Sunday afternoon!
[These photos by A.A.]

27th February 2006 During mid-February, the 38-stock's other bogies were taken apart, thoroughly cleaned, greased and reassembled.  As a result the whole train is much more freely running (should've thought of that earlier).  During the refitting process, it was decided to rewire the motors differently, giving us the potential to take the motors up to 24v (instead of just 12v), giving us more speed when we need it.  The train was tested at Acton at the end of February, with impressive results.  (It was nick-named the "Under-City 125," but the directors have issued a strict rule about speeds ... with the penalty of disqualification!)

LRT on the extension at Acton
Click photo for full size image.
Adrian brings the train cautiously over a new set of points at Acton, with the track-extension visible in the background.
[Photo: T. Crame.]

1st January 2006 Three friends of the LRT made a visit to the Acton Miniature Railway on December 29th, and after looking at signalling equipment, set to work laying a point and siding on this 7¼" gauge railway.  Being regular guests at this railway, we were more than happy to help out, and both LRT directors are Friends of London's Transport Museum also.
On the following day, a slightly different three set to work with maintenance to the main asset ... our 1938 stock.  The two bogies from the "A" car were removed and stripped down completely.  After de-greasing and cleaning as much as we could, we put everything back together with a fresh application of grease.  And oh boy, the wheels turn much more freely now!  The outer end bogie was completed (and work here included refitting one of the wheels to the axle), but the inner end bogie needs some more tweaking before we can refit the motors (these were the ones removed during the season)!  Before our next run, we need to do the same to the two bogies from the "D" car, and some other electrical work is in progress.

25th October We present some of the pictures from the photo-shoot on September 4th, that we mentioned in our news on September 12th.

The LRT at Acton The LRT at Acton
The LRT at Acton
Click pictures for full size images.
Top Left With Daniel driving, the LRT is pictured in front of the main sign for the Museum Depot.  Trimmed and digitally enhanced, this photo is now used on a large A2 poster displayed at the Acton Miniature Railway (the name given to the Museum Depot's 7¼" gauge railway) whenever the railway is running.
Top Right For a Landscape option, but not with the main sign in view, this picture with Adrian driving has been selected.
Bottom One interesting view is this side-on shot ... 7 passengers (plus driver and guard) and the train is full!  Maybe we could carry more if they all sat the same way round, but we would carry less if they were any bigger ... these children were all aged, we understand, below 10.
[Photos by Charles Howard, and the children were especially invited to be part of the photo-shoot.]

23rd October The LRT was in operation again at the Museum Depot at Acton on October 22nd & 23rd, for their Family Weekend.  We were the only train on the 7¼" gauge track, and over the two days we provided 132 rides, carrying 638 fare-paying passengers.  There are no real problems to report, but it appears that we have excessive flange-wear on one or two wheel-sets, and these will need to be sorted out this winter. 
The LRT is now out of service for the winter (so that we can have a chance to do the bigger jobs), and its next booking is at the Museum Depot on March 4th & 5th, 2006.

LRT at Acton
Signals on the Acton Miniature Railway Young helpers at Acton
Click pictures for full size images.
Top Daniel bringing a train into the Alighting area on the Sunday ... we ran with the train the 'other way round' on the Sunday so that we could see if it was any easier to do so (and certainly, signal sighting was easier).
Bottom Left Starter signal #6 with the usual LU style warning signs below. The signs were especially created from prototypes by Charles Howard, and the top one warns of 24,000 millli-volts!  (Well, we thought it was amusing - and it had the desired effect of keeping people off the track!)
Bottom Right We had some assistance from very young helpers for a short while, kindly provided by museum staff, seen here inspecting tickets!
All Photos: A. A..

12th September 2005 The LRT was taken to the Great Cockcrow Railway's Gala Weekend in September.  With much other visiting motive power, the train was not even unloaded on the Saturday, but on the Sunday morning, we took it round for four trips.  Unfortunately, a fault developed in that reverse direction could not be engaged from one end (we had recently rewired the train for driving from either end - an absolute must for GCR operation).  After some fault tracing, we located (we suspect) the fault to the wiring loom to the hand-held controller.  Although 'normal' operation could continue in theory, we felt that it was unwise to continue running until the fault could be properly traced and repaired, and the train spent the afternoon stabled outside the carriage shed at Hardwick Central.  Both owners had taken the train around, as well as one of the other regular LRT operators and an engineer from the GCR who has done much mechanical work to help us get the train running and keep it running.
The LRT visited the Acton Miniature Railway on September 4th, the purpose of the visit being to take some high quality photos of the train with passengers to use for publicity purposes. The resulting photos will be posted on this site shortly.

The LRT on the GCR Visiting motive power at the GCR
GCR line map for the LRT
Click pictures for full size images.
Top Left Daniel driving, the LRT is seen on the climb to Piggery Summit, with the 'A' end car leading. [Photo: A.A.]
Top Right A BR Standard class 2, 2-6-0; one of the many visiting locomotives during the weekend is seen at Hardwick Central.  Note the LRT in the background! [Photo: A.A.]
Bottom An LU style car-map was produced for running at the GCR (shewing both green and red routes), but not actually used! [Created by A.A.]

8th August 2005 Two more photos of the LRT in action have been sent to us.

The LRT at Acton The LRT at Hook
Click photos for full size images.
Left Adrian drives the LRT at the Acton Miniature Railway, with Thomas as guard.
Bottom Right The LRT team at Hook, from left to right: Daniel, Martin, Stephen, Charles & Adrian.
[Photos: David Carter.]

6th July 2005 The LRT attended two events at the beginning of July. 
On Saturday 2nd, we carried 115 passengers at the 8th Ashford Scouts Summer Fayre; an event continually threatened by the weather (very grey clouds), but the rain did manage to hold off.  Unfortunately, we were all so occupied, that none of us actually got any photos!  We did have a couple of friends helping us, and hopefully one of them did manage to get a photo that we can add later ... but see the comment at the end of this report. 
On Sunday 3rd, we carried 102 passengers at St. Elphege's School P.A.'s Summer Fete (Wallington).  Only a few drops of rain were felt during the afternoon, but we didn't need to suspend operations.  Again, we didn't get any photos of the train in action, only one of the rather splendid station sign made up for our use!
The LRT has no bookings now, until the beginning of September.  So, we are going to make the most of it to do some work on the train (and work on Adrian's garden railway).
This work (on the LRT) will hopefully include modifications to three wheel-sets, the fitting of a better parking brake that can be activated from either end ... and while we're at it, rewiring the driving control adapter for the 'other' end.
We are thinking of setting up a facility where people can submit photos of the train in action for posting on the website.  Many people take photos of their offspring on the train, and any such photo that shewed the train in good detail (i.e., not just a picture of the passenger), would be eligible.  Obviously, we would reserve the right to pick and choose, but it would enable us to concentrate on running the railway without disrupting procedures just so that a photo can be arranged.  If we do decide to set up this facility, we will announce it here.

Click photo for full size image.
The lovely station sign made for our use.  There were four in total, one naming each of the four local schools. [Photo: A.A.]

30th June 2005 Stephen Trower has provided some photos of the LRT at Hook.

The LRT at Hook
The LRT at Hook The LRT at Hook
Click photos for full size images.
Top A worms eye view of the train, awaiting passengers.
Bottom Left Daniel drives the LRT, with a train load of happy passengers. Most of our passengers are children, but there are a few 'big kids' who come for a ride as well.
Bottom Right The end of the line, Daniel prepares to drive the train back towards the station.
[Photos: S. Trower.]

26th June 2005 The LRT visited the 1st Hook Scouts Summer Fayre on June 25th, and carried 187 passengers during the four-hour period. The weather, although dry, was grey, and this may account for the low turnout. 
Apart from one curious electrical cut-off before the event started, the train worked faultlessly.  We have been invited back next year.

The LRT at Hook Signs
Click photos for full size images.
Left Operators waiting for the next passengers during a quiet moment.
Right The organiser had even made up some signs to promote the LRT, one seen here with one of our own signs.
[Photos: A. A..]

5th June 2005 The LRT had a second run at the Museum Depot at Acton on June 4/5.  Although the weather was much nicer, turnout was very low. The promotion within the depot itself was "75 years of Greenline buses," which meant that most of the visitors had little or no interest in trains! 
We suffered a derailment during the Saturday, with three suspect causes!  The loading on the carriage was uneven - too much weight at the end that stayed on the track (so we needed to be more thoughtful about weight distribution), two wheelsets within the bogie that came off are perhaps a little too wide (and we're going to get these replaced - as these are also the wheelsets where the motors have been removed (temporarily) due to gear-meshing problems), and the check-rails in the points were a little too wide (so they were adjusted during the day - and the ride was greatly improved)! 
On the Sunday, however, there was an even bigger derailment, but thankfully, not with the LRT or even on the 7¼" gauge track ... a full size "D" stock set in the adjacent depot (not part of the museum)!  Our train ran mostly OK, but our cheap-and-cheerful "Deadman" button finally bowed out, so it was bypassed (a ten-minute job). 
The LRT also provided three working signals, working in true LU fashion - mostly!  (We didn't have the chance to make up a route indicator for the home signal, so we had to compromise there!)  These proved extremely popular and the experiment may well be developed further!

The LRT at Acton in June
Click photo for full size images.
The LRT is seen reversing into the passing loop whilst the "MetroVick" loco waits at the starter signal.  [Photo: A.A.]
Be sure to look again, as many other photographers took an interest in our operations ... and we've been promised a few pictures!

14th May 2005 Stephen Trower, one of the group who assisted with the LRT at Acton and Ottershaw, has supplied some more photos from the February open weekend at Acton Depot.

The LRT at Acton The class 60
Click photos for full size images.
Left Daniel drives the LRT, with a train load of passengers, at the February Acton Depot open weekend.
Right The class 60, with which we shared the track at Acton, awaits another run.
[Photos: S. Trower.]

3rd May 2005 The May Bank Holiday weekend was a busy one for the LRT.
Final adjustments were made to train and track on the Saturday, and this enabled us to test the train on the Sunday upon the Great Cockcrow Railway.  On the first of the two trips, using GPS technology, the speed was measured, and the average maximum was about 5mph (a scale speed of an authentic 40mph).  N.B. The term "Average Maximum" denotes that there were variations in top speed due to gradients and so on - as if you needed reminding!
On the Monday, the train and just over 100' of track was taken to the Ottershaw Scout and Guide Group May Fair for 4½ hours of operation.  Well, 4¼ hours, considering that a problem developed with one of the motors and its gearing, and this (and it's mate - as they work in pairs) had to be removed, thus giving us three motor bogies in action (six powered axles) and one trailing bogie.  All worked OK from then on.  In that time we carried over 250 passengers, using our own home-produced tickets.  Sadly, the day was marred by one director losing his wallet and one of our helpers returning to his local station to find that his bicycle had been stolen.  On a brighter note, we have been provisionally invited back next year.

The LRT emerging from Greywood Tunnel The LRT shunting at Hardwick Central
The LRT at Ottershaw The LRT at Ottershaw
Click photos for full size images.
Top Left The train is seen emerging from Greywood Tunnel on the Great Cockcrow Railway.  (Adrian driving.) [Photo: D.H.]
Top Right Reversing out of the headshunt at Hardwick Central after testing.  (Daniel supervising.)  [Photo: R. Maiden.]
Bottom Left Martin (Daniel's younger brother) prepares to drive the train out of the 'station' at the Ottershaw May Fair. [Photo: D.H.]
Bottom Right Another train load of happy passengers.  [Photo: D.H.]

29th March 2005 Work has started on maintenance and repairs to the track panels that we will be using at most of the Fetes and similar events.  By the end of Easter Monday holiday, we had completed 11 panels (each 7' in length), and most of a 12th, but further adjustments are necessary to that one. 
All of the panels are being labelled (and recorded on a database) so that we can keep a log of usage and maintenance intervals.  This may seem a bit pedantic, but it is necessary in order to keep up with current safety standards!

Daniel working on the track. The labels on the track.
Click photos for full size images.
Left Daniel at work on one of the track panels (with the nice weather, the work was done in Adrian's garden.)
Right Each panel has a reference (S02 = Straight #2, C03 = Curve #3, and so on) as seen in this stack.  (Note new sleeper on S04!)
[Photos: A. A..]

1st March 2005 The Little Red Train, despite all the problems in the last few weeks, appeared at London's Transport Museum Depot at Acton on February 26/27.  Over the two very cold days (0°C max.), we carried roundly 600 passengers and the train was available for about 95% of the time; minor mechanical problems accounting for the other 5%! 
We did have a problem with a grub-screw coming away from one of the axles (so the gear could free-wheel) and some motor mounting screw threads vibrating out of the motor casings; but emergency adjustments were made so that we could get the train back in service as quickly as possible. 
On the Saturday night, we brought one of the bogies home (leaving the rest of the train at the depot - indoors - along with the batteries for charging) for serious modifications, and performance was indeed, better on the Sunday.  Many photos of this event were taken by a number of photographers, and we shall probably add to the few that are here, later.
We would especially like to thank Jonathan Riddell for the original invitation to the event; Wesley Quilty who served as the Line Manager for the weekend and whose enthusiasm made the event so enjoyable; and Bob Bird who helped us out with utmost urgency when the train came to an "equipment-related" stand! 
Also, thanks to our friends who assisted with the operation of the train; to Paul Trotter and all at Camberley Engineering (and the Great Cockcrow Railway) for getting the train into working order; and of course, to everybody who made all the effort worthwhile by taking a ride upon the Little Red Train!

The opening of the Acton Depot Miniature Railway LRT & Metrovick
LRT with passengers on the Sunday Adrian on the LRT
Thomas driving the LRT The LRT Team at Acton
Click photos for full size images.
Top Left It was not only the LRT that was new in service, this was the first event upon the new 7¼" gauge track at the depot, and here, the ribbon is being cut by Sam Mullins, Director of London's Transport Museum. Immediately afterwards, the LRT carried the railway's first fare-paying passengers. [Photo: A.A.]
Top Right We shared the track with a class 60 and this "Metro-Vick" Bo-Bo locomotive.  [Photo: A.A.]
Centre Left A lightly loaded train in front of the museum.  [Photo: A.A.]
Centre Right Adrian waits in the loop for passengers to board. The miniature railway was provided with London Underground style station signs during the event. [Photo: J.H.]
Bottom Left The train is backed slowly into the short spur, used for disembarkation. [Photo: J.H.]
Bottom Right Members of the Little Red Train team pose for a photo.  [Photo: J.H.]

20th February 2005 The last weekend before the BIG one ... and we're still putting it all back together!
Saturday was very busy with the motors being delivered at about 12-noon, and then prepared for fitting.  Whilst this was going on, a problem arose with the wiring circuits, meaning that we needed 8-pin connections, not 7-pin; and after a quick trip to a local electrical store, we started to rewire using 9-pin 'D' connectors with IDC connections.  These connections were to make the job quicker and easier, but they proved the opposite, and as a desperate measure, the control panel is wired in temporarily via a standard terminal block! 
During the evening, the cars were assembled in Adrian's garden (mainly so that we could tidy up and find bits that had disappeared) before being taken to Daniel's father, who very kindly offered to help with any jobs that had proved problematic - the whole project springs to mind...! 
At midnight, the train was powered up and all worked well! So, on Sunday, we took the train to the new 7¼" gauge track at the Museum for a test run. 
First, the good news ... It sounds incredibly authentic with the nice deep hum of the prototypes; quite awesome, actually!  The gradient was no problem and the train negotiated the curves and points with ease.  However ... Some of the nuts holding the gears to the bosses vibrated loose and we found many of them on the track!  The 'dead-man' switch is too small to operate comfortably, and this will be exchanged this week.  The 24v jumper cables between the cars (batteries and motors) are too long, and these need to be cut short, and re-crimped.  There is a minor issue with one of the wheels, but this can be sorted out after the weekend at Acton.

Experiments with the whistle. Two bogies with the new motors in place.
Click photos for full size images.
Above Left Friend of the LRT, Stese, attempts to make a compressed-air powered whistle using a wooden souvenir whistle fitted into an old plastic milk bottle (to even the flow of air), but to no avail!  The best result was produced just by squeezing the bottle!
Above Right Four of the new motor-gear-wheel assemblies are seen in two bogie frames - put outside to make room inside for the rest of the work.  The living room (where all this has been done) is just under 4m².
Below Left & Below Right The Little Red Train on test on the track at London's Transport Museum at Acton Depot.  A great boost to everybody's morale.
[Photos: A. A..]
Test running at the Acton Depot Test running at Acton Depot

13th February 2005 We've reached the stage where the "shorter" list is the one of jobs remaining, not jobs done! :-)
The replacement panel for the 'D' end of the main power car was fitted into place today (February 13th), and it fits well, a great boost to the morale! 
More electrical work was done also, but this included fitting a new cross-member to the chassis to carry the controller, and then wiring it in.  All of the 24v wiring is in place now, and is ready to be connected to the motors that 'should' be delivered this coming week. 
We have also bought a supply of spare 2BA bolts for the suspension hangers - and fitted quite a few to replace the damaged or 'compromised' ones! 
The 12v cables from the controller were taken to a terminal block mounted with Velcro onto the top of the controller.  The new 12v wiring looms will go in this week, and a new hand-held control unit will be built.

The new light panel in place. The controller mounted in its new location.
Click photos for full size images.
Left The new panel in place at the car end before the body-filler was applied. [Photo: A.A.]
Right The controller fitted into place near the inner coupling, thus making wiring easier! [Photo: A.A.]

6th February 2005 Cabling has finally been sourced (not quite what we were looking for, but it'll more than do) and new battery leads have been made up for car "D" as well as motor leads. 
One bogie has been assembled complete with all fixings (we were initially short of grub screws and enough bolts) and all appears to be OK.  There is a nice rumbling sort of sound as the bogie is pushed along the track, so hopefully with the hollow body on top, it will recreate some of the nice rumbling sound of the prototype! 
Also, with one bogie assembled, we have been able to have a more serious look at the mechanical brake, and this looks fairy straight forward; the picture shows the mechanism laying on the track, when it is raised so that the bolt is fitted to a bracket inside the bogie frame, the shoes will be in line with the wheel rim.

The brake awaiting fitting. The new panel for the front
Click photos for full size images.
Left The brake mechanism ready to be fitted to the bogie (see text), but in reality, it will be fitted to the 'other' one at the other end of the car.  [Photo: A.A.]
Right The new panel to house the lights and destination blind, painted in a dark undercoat! [Photo: A.A.]

2nd February 2005 Work continues on the overhaul to the "D" end power car, and it is certainly an interesting job - comparing, of course, with the H0 scale railway modelling that we are more accustomed to!  We have a problem with the new controller, not helped by us blowing a fuse due to a stray wire!  Nevertheless, once that was fixed, we have still been unable to get the controller to work.  This is now going back to the manufacturers for them to look at, and when it is returned, it will go into the "Ginny" - we have ordered a new and more powerful controller for the Tube Train instead!
Bodywork problems are causing a bit of a headache, not least the fact that the wood at the cab ends is "stressed" into shape, and having cut out the rotted area, the remaining wood has taken on a new shape!  Repairing this will take up too much time to allow working lights and destination blind to be fitted in time for the event at Acton!
A temporary mechanical brake has been refitted to the chassis, same equipment as before (a later addition during the 1990s) but foot operated and lower down, so as to not ruin the visual appearance of the train!
All of the old wiring has been removed and the new wiring will all be documented and colour-coded.  A temporary control interface (hand-held unit) is being made also, due to the limited space within the old one!

Body. New footbrake
Click photos for full size images.
Left The body showing how the front panel is pointing slightly outward!  [Photo: A.A.]
Right The bicycle brake lever is now mounted at solebar level for foot operation.  [Photo: A.A.]

5th January 2005 The seasonal holiday was a productive time for the Tube Train.  The first two new wheel-sets were collected, complete with motors, mounting brackets, gears, and almost ready for fitting.  We spent a day fixing these into one of the bogies before reporting back to the engineer (who did the work) that all is well, and that we should like him to continue with the remaining six wheel-sets.  Some rewiring work was done by ourselves (the new controller is 24v instead of 12v) and a start made on the worst of the bodywork damage.

One axle in place. Axle with motor fitted
Click photos for full size images.
Above Left One axle is in place, with the motor mounting brackets hanging above the axle (motor not attached in this view).
Above Right One axle complete with motor attached.
Below The body of one of the cars with Destination and Lamp panel cut away, pending replacement.
[All photos: A.A.]
Destination and lamp panel removed for replacement.

15th December 2004 We now have more details of the LT Museum's 'London Transport in Miniature' event at Acton Depot in February, including location, opening times and prices, these have been posted on the Events page. For full details see the LT Museum's press release..
We have also been invited to another event in June 2005, more details will be posted on this site closer to the time.
After some further investigation we have arranged to visit the supplier for the previously-mentioned axle-hung motors on Saturday 18th December, with a view to purchasing the new motors, gears and a motor controller for the 38 stock. Hopefully, if everything goes to plan, we should have the train up and running around the end of December/beginning of January.

21st November 2004 On November 21st, we inspected a new locomotive (diesel outline, but electrically driven) in 7¼" gauge, and were impressed with the four axle-hung motors on it, each the size of a coffee jar!  We were informed of its recent performance, which had been admirable, and being somewhat sold on the idea (and being fed up with constantly facing obstacles with sorting out the present arrangement), we are now looking into this as a replacement for the motors and gears presently on the Tube Train.  We need to do some mathematical calculations regarding power outputs and requirements, speed differentials and so on and so forth, but we believe this is the way forward, and it is now a case of "biting the bullet!"

18th October 2004 Just a little note to say that we're still here. Unfortunately progress on the tube hasn't been as quick as we'd have liked, due to other commitments. We are still searching for a suitable gearbox to replace the existing drive system.
However, we now have a definite deadline for getting the tube running again. We have been invited to bring the tube to the London's Transport Museum's Model Weekend at their Acton Depot, on 26/27 February 2005. More details will follow nearer the time of the event.

3rd May 2004 Unfortunately, due to other demands on time and money, it wasn't possible to do much to either train during Christmas and Easter, however things are starting to happen again.
The power and trailer cars of the 38 stock have been removed from the trailer and stored in a garage, along with the bogies from the centre car, where they will be more accessible and consequently easier to work on.
One of the 38 Stock's power bogies has been removed to facilitate development of the new drive mechanism and to obtain dimensions for the new wheelsets.
Hopefully the long university summer holiday should allow more time for working on the 38 stock and it is aimed to get it running by late summer or early autumn.

25th November 2003 Not much has occurred since the 1938 Stock's trip to the Spinney Light Railway with Daniel's return to university restricting the time available to work on it.
However, there has been some progress, the two spare C5 motors have now been delivered and work is progressing on a design for the new drive mechanism. Daniel is due to return at the beginning of December and hopefully some progress can be made before he leaves again at the end of January.

27th August 2003 On August 2nd, the 2-car tube train was taken to the privately-owned Spinney Light Railway in Farnham for a good testing and running-in!  We got off to a bad start.  The single line from the starting point featured a brief climb at 1:30 and the trip switch tripped!  However, it smoked a little first causing the owners' temperatures to rise also!  Eventually, with a push, the train reached the top of the single line and it was agreed that it would stay off that branch until we needed to put it away at the end of the day!
We found that acceleration was much slower (at least slower than when Adrian used to drive it), but that the top speed was higher!  (We ought to have been suspicious at this stage!)  Further, with four adults onboard, the train would not start from rest at all!  We put this down to the fact that it had been in store for so long, though this was not entirely logical!  The trip switch tripped quite a few times, and the train had what is known as "Hornby Syndrome" - it went better in one direction than the other!  Eventually, the trip switch failed and a resistor (we think - still pending investigation) burnt out, bringing the train to a premature and terminal stop!
A closer examination revealed some design faults, which will now need addressing.  These are what we found:

1. The gear reduction is 2:1 where it used to be in the region of 5:1 - hence the poor acceleration and high speed.  This needs to be changed - the train is fast enough at 5:1!
2. The timing belt (used for traction) is slipping on the gears because the compensator for the suspension is not adequate.
3. The final drive to the one axle (on each bogie in one car) is vertical and needs to go to the other axle (so that movement of the suspension does not affect its grip) and maybe to put a link between the axles in each bogie - or to motorise the other car (which may be a better option in view of the eventual completion of the centre car).

So, we came away somewhat demoralised, but very much the wiser for the knowledge of what needs to be done.  We feel again, that we would like to thank our colleagues at the Great Cockcrow Railway for their support, and to Alan Ainslie (the owner of the railway) for his unwavering enthusiasm, encouragement and advice, not overlooking the offer to assist with the work that the train needs.

38 Stock at the Spinney Light Railway
Daniel, driving the tube (using the new plug-in "remote" controller), is held at a junction signal. [Photo: A.A.]

31st July 2003 The past week has seen a lot of work undertaken on the 38 stock. The two repaired wheelsets were returned on Sunday 27th and fitted back into position. An order was also placed for four new 110AH leisure batteries to provide power to the traction motors, and a 17AH sealed cyclic battery to drive the controller, horn and other auxiliary electronics.
On Tuesday work began on replacing the existing wander controller with a slightly more advanced design, incorporating a reverser, deadman switch and sliding throttle. Sockets for it have been provided on both the power and trailer cars, allowing the train to be driven from either end.
On Thursday, wiring for the new battery was installed and the electrical coupling between the two cars was replaced. Previously it consisted of two wires screwed into terminals on each car, the replacement is a 3-pin plug and socket.
On Saturday 2nd August, the train will be run at a private miniature railway in Farnham. Hopefully, with new batteries and the recent electrical modifications, performance should be much better than at Alton. A report will follow at the end of August, when the Webmaster returns from his holiday in Wales.

23rd July 2003 On the evening of Wednesday July 23rd, the two cars were taken to the workshop of the Great Cockcrow Railway, where assistance had been offered to sort out the problems with the bogies - in particular the suspension hangers.  Unfortunately, we found that many more were damaged (but hadn't actually broken off) and our supply of spares was not enough!  Further, and to much dismay, we found that two of the wheels had come away from their axles (broken welds) and that they were virtually life expired!  In the long term, the train will have a complete supply of new wheel-sets, and the wheels will be press-fixed to the axles rather than welded.  We are also looking at different possibilities for the hangers, but have yet to make a decision.  We would especially like to acknowledge the invaluable assistance of Richard and Paul, who not only offered to assist where needed, but were uncompromising with advice for the ongoing maintenance and overhaul to the train.

21st July 2003 On Saturday 19th July, the two car set of 38 Stock was taken to a Modelling Day run by the Alton Model Railway Group (of which both Daniel and Adrian are members). The grounds of the Scout Hut which serves as the AMRG's clubroom, were large enough to allow 90ft of track to be laid for test running.
Actually laying the track, however, was hard work. The area of ground which would allow the longest run was very uneven and steeply graded. With lots of packing under the sleepers, a suitable alignment was created, though it was by no means ideal and needed constant adjustment throughout the day.
Once the track was down, a start could be made on testing. The train had difficulty starting on the steep gradient, but with a run up, it was able to get to the top with relative ease. Going down was not a problem, the train was able to coast downhill, and the bicycle brakes proved very useful in bringing the train to a stand at the bottom. During the day, the train made a large number of runs, both with and without passengers and some of the other AMRG members were also invited to drive.
Unfortunately, there were a couple of derailments during the day, which caused minor damage to the bogies, and some components will have to be replaced.

38 Stock at AMRG  38 Stock at AMRG.
Left - The 38 stock on the decking behind the scout hut. It was level enough to allow a good run up at the gradient, and to slow the train down on the way back. [Photo: A.A.].
Right - Daniel brings the train to a halt, with another AMRG member as passenger. [Photo: A.A.]

The tests highlighted a couple of problems which will need to be rectified. The 12V controller is powered by a 'tap' off one of the batteries otherwise used to provide traction. However, when the traction motors were drawing a lot of current (i.e. starting and going uphill), there wasn't enough power to drive the controller, which then cut out the motors. This was temporarily rectified by using the best battery to supply the controller, but as a long term solution, a smaller 12V battery will be fitted in the trailer car to drive the controller and other auxiliary electronics, leaving the larger batteries to provide traction power.
One of the batteries was also found to be in rather poor condition, dropping from 12V to 10V within a couple of hours, requiring it to be recharged for a while during the day.
While the batteries were charging, some work was done on the train, including coating of the centre car chassis with a rust removal chemical, and adjusting the brakes on the power car to give them slightly more grip.

13th July 2003 On Saturday 12th July, on the way back from an outing to the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway, Adrian and Daniel picked up the chassis for the centre car of the 38 stock and some more sections of track from Fred Blois.
The chassis has a significant amount of rust on it, but it appears to be largely superficial and it should be easy to remove.

11th July 2003 At the beginning of July, Daniel returned home from University for the Summer, allowing work on the train to start in earnest. A deadline for having both outer cars ready, with some form of parking brake and control from either end has been set for the second weekend in September.
Thursday 10th July was the first chance since Daniel's return for work to be done. Daniel, aided by his family, set about laying a length of portable track along his drive, giving a run of approximately 50ft for testing.
While they waited for Adrian to finish work and come over, Daniel and his mum performed some cosmetic work on the bodyshells, using a wire brush to clean off the mould that had grown on some of the wood and using glue and wood-filler to repair some of the rotted areas, as well as giving the whole train a good clean with a damp rag.
It appears that the whole train will probably need a repaint, and some of the front section was so damaged that it may need replacement, however this is not urgent and can wait for the mechanical work to be finished.
The motor car was also jacked up on blocks, as before, and the batteries were installed. Three of the four batteries had fully charged, the other had not and will probably require replacement. With two of the fully charged batteries, and a nudge to get it going, the motors began to turn the wheels, indicating that the train would probably be able to run under its own power.
Upon Adrian's arrival, the power car was moved to the temporary track, the batteries were fitted and the body was placed upon the chassis. Adrian took the controls for the first test run and with the power turned up, the car set of smoothly and trundled up the drive. The train was run extensively during the evening, driven by Adrian, Daniel and Daniel's brother. It also carried its first passengers, some of Daniel's neighbours who had heard about the train, and wanted to try it out for themselves.
The fact that the train still runs well after seven years of storage is a testament to the quality of the original engineering. The next step will be the installation of compressed air brakes, to allow more extensive testing on permanent miniature railways, where it can be run as a two or three car set and at higher speeds.

First run of the 38 stock   Daniel driving the 38 stock.
Left - With Adrian at the controls, the 38 Stock power car makes its first self-propelled run in 7 years. The controls for the bicycle brakes, a later addition to the train, can be clearly seen. Click for larger image. [Photo: H.H.]
Right - Daniel at the controls of the 38 Stock. Click for larger image. [Photo: A.A.]

30th June 2003 On Saturday 28th June, Adrian visited London's Transport Museum in Covent Garden. Exhibits at the museum include cars of 1938 and 'G' stock. Whilst there he took a number of photos to provide a reference when working on the models, some of which have been added the 1938 Stock and Ginny pages.

25th May 2003 - This was the first chance that Daniel and Adrian had to determine exactly what they had bought and what work needed doing on the two trains.
The trailer contained approximately fifty 7ft long track panels, including curves and a set of points, a large quantity of cones and cordon material (for portable events), a number of signs and various other accessories for the trains.
During the day, attention was mainly focused on the power car of the 38 stock. After connecting up the batteries, it was found that the motors could be made to whine and try to turn the wheels. Unsurprisingly, none of the four batteries was fully charged and consequently there was not enough power for the motors to move the wheels on their own, but this is a good sign that the train is at least mostly functional.
It was however possible to connect up and test some of the 12V systems including the hooter; which, unfortunately for Daniel's neighbours, worked fine.
Braking on the 38 stock is currently achieved using a pair of bicycle callipers, one for each powered axle. As these no longer conform to the strict standards of some miniature railways and prevent the train being driven from both ends, fitting continuous (air or vacuum) braking and a parking brake are high on the list of things to do. Using a compressor for continuous braking will also provide an air supply for a (more authentic) whistle.
It is likely that a completely new control panel will be built, incorporating controls for braking as well as power, direction, whistle, etc. This will be designed so it can plug in at either end of the train, because most miniature railways do not have 21ft long turntables.
A lot of cosmetic work is also required. Some of the wooden panels on some of the cars have rotted and will need repair or replacement. While this is taking place, working head and tail lights will be fitted, and the destination display may be modified to allow it to be easily changed while in service..

Adrian & Daniel survey their new purchases Adrian & Daniel sitting on the 38 stock.
Left - Adrian and Daniel survey their new purchases. [Photo: H.H.]
Right- Testing the 1938 stock for comfort. [Photo: H.H.]

The 'Ginny' will need far more work. Although the body is complete, the mechanical side consists solely of a chassis and bogie frames. Wheels, brakes, motors and battery connections will all need to be fitted, wired up, and a control panel built.

17th May 2003 - As is always the case when outdoor work is expected, the weather on the 17th was wet and miserable. Adrian and Daniel set off in Adrian's van, with Daniel's Dad, Kelvin, and younger brother, Martin, following behind in the Land Rover.
Upon arrival, the trailer was found to be behind a derelict car. The Land Rover was put to good use, towing it out of the way and then dragging the trailer out of the mud.
Kelvin set to work changing the wheels, while Daniel, Adrian and Fred moved the centre car of the '38 stock and 'Ginny' into the van.
By mid afternoon, all but one of the tyres had been changed (one of the wheel nuts was so tight it could not be undone). The Land Rover set off towing the trailer, with the van following closely behind to ensure that any problems could be spotted straight away. A brief detour was made via Fred's house to collect the batteries and then the convoy made its way back to Farnham, with a brief stop at a tyre centre en-route, to allow the stuck wheel-nut to be loosened and the remaining wheel swapped.

The 'Ginny' and 38 Stock centre car
The centre car from the "38" stock and the "Ginny" in the back of a van, ready for transportation to their new home. [Photo: A.A.]

Adrian and Daniel would like to thank the following people for their help:

  • Kelvin - For providing the Land Rover and working on the trailer.
  • Hilary - For collecting the new trailer wheels the previous afternoon.
  • Martin - For helping with general lifting, shifting, fetching, carrying and all the other things that little brothers are useful for.
  • The staff of 'Just Tyres' in Horsham - For loosening the stuck wheel-nut, without charging, allowing the last wheel to be swapped over.
  • 16th May 2003 - It was agreed that the trailer, containing tube and track, would be collected from Sussex on the 17th of May, and if possible towed back to its new home.
    Unsurprisingly, after having spent 6 years outdoors, the trailer wasn't in the best condition. Although the main structure was essentially sound, Fred reported that the brakes had seized and that at least two of the four tyres were split. Given the likely state of the wheel rims and that fitting new tyres to the existing wheels would be a long and tedious job, it was decided to buy four brand new wheels and retain the existing ones as spares. After much searching these were eventually sourced from TrailerTek in Micheldever Station.
    The wheels, trolley jacks and a large assortment of tools were then loaded into the back of a Land Rover, ready for departure the following morning.

    12th April 2003 - Fred received the cheque from Daniel and Adrian for the tube, trailer and track, thus completing the sale.
    Daniel departed for a two-week holiday in France the same day, so collection had to be delayed until May.

    < Home | 1938 Stock >

    If this page is not in a frame click here